If you have a donkey/mule book to recommend, please notify the webmaster.
- ADMS - American Donkey & Mule Society
- sells many donkey/mule books via phone or email order. Visit their Hee Haw Book Service
- Brighty of the Grand Canyon
- by Marguerite Henry. 1953 (many current reprints). New York Scholastic. Youth fiction. Brighty, a shaggy little burro, braves the rough terrain of the original trails through the Grand Canyon.
- by Roger Duvoisin. 1940, 1968. Parent's Magazine Press, New Youk. Children's book. Donkey-Donkey learns to be confident with the way he looks.
- History of American Jacks and Mules
- by Frank C. Mills and Helen L. Hall. 1971, 1982. Hutch-line, Inc., Hutchinson, Kansas. In depth history (back to 1888) of jacks, mules, breeders, sellers and buyers; neat photos and illustrations.
- The Mule Alternative: The Saddle Mule in the American West
- by Michael P. Stamm. 1992. Medicine Wolf Press. Testimony from Explorers, Mountain Men, Traders, Soldiers, Settlers, and Gold Rushers of the Nineteenth Century.
- Mules, Jackasses and Other Misconceptions
- by James A. Burkhart & Eugene F. Schmidtlein. 1995. Stephens College, Columbia, MO. The history and role of the mule in American life and development.
- The Natural Superiority of Mules
- by John Hauer. 2006. 152 pgs, hardcover. Lots of great mule info + photos
- Shavetail Sam: U.S. Army Mule
- by Helen Orr Watson. 1944. Houghton Mifflin, Boston. Youth fiction - WWII, historical novel.
- Shavetails and Bell Sharps: The History of the U.S. Army Mule
- by Emmett M. Essin. 1997. University of Nebraska Press. History of the mule in U.S. Army operations - 125 years to 1956.
- Training Mules and Donkeys, a Logical Approach to Longears
- by Meredith Hodges. 1993. Alpine Publications, Loveland, CO