- Small members of the ass family from Mexican and Spanish stock.
- Nickname for members of the ass family (Equus asinus)
- Donkey sizes
Miniature: < 36"
Lg standard: 48+"-56"
Mammoth: > 56"
Height at the withers when fully grown.
- Hands high
- 1 hand = 4 inches.
Traditional height measurement unit for equine, taken at the withers
- Cross between a male horse (stallion) and a female donkey (jenny)
- Result of breeding animals of different species. Horse + Donkey = Mule or Hinny.
These hybrids are sterile and cannot reproduce because the horse has 64 chromosomes and the donkey has 62.
- Jack or Jackass
- The male of the ass family
- Jennet orJenny
- Female of the ass family
- John or Horse mule
- Common term for adult male mule
- Adult female horse
- Molly or Mare mule
- Common term for adult female mule
- Cross between a male donkey (jack) and a female horse (mare)
- Adult male horse
- The prominent ridge where the neck and the back join. Height is measured vertically from the withers to the ground. Donkeys and mules usually don't have much withers.